This five ton anchor from HMS Conway stands proudly
overlooking the Menai Straits from the new waterfront
promenade at Slate Quay in Caernarfon, North Wales. Recovered
and restored in 1987 it originally stood just a few dozen
meters away at Victoria Dock outside the then Seiont II
The Museum's long term viability came
into doubt due to increased running costs and low revenue and
finally closed in 2012. In 2014 the plans for the new
promenade were accepted, with the relocation of the anchor and
the old museum being turned into toilet and shower facilities
for boat owners using Victoria Dock.
HMS Conway itself
was established as a Royal Navy training ship in 185, with 3
separate ships in total bearing the name, however it was the
ship originally launched as HMS Nile in 1839 which was the
longest serving. For the last 4 years of it's service the ship
was sited at Plas Newydd, just along the road at Anglesey.
In 1953 she was due to be towed to Birkenhead for a refit, but
ran into trouble with strong currents, and making little
progress the rear tug was moved to the front to provide more
power. This left the rear of HS Conway uncontrolled and she
subsequently ran aground near the suspension bridge and her
back finally broke as the tide went out.
Photographed in April 2014 just before sunset provided a
lovely mix of colours, from the deep blues in the sky to the
orange clouds coloured by the setting sun. This did however
leave the anchor almost black, so to revive the detail, the
image was ran through Photomatix and given a very slight HDR
treatment revealing the grain of the wood.