The King Edward II Steam Train in the sheds area at Didcot
Railway museum, this preserved locomotive was built at Great
Western Railways Swindon Yard in 1930. The locomotive was used
as an express passenger train from Devon to London Paddington.
In June 1962 it was withdrawn from service and and the
decision was made for it to be sent to Swindon to be
dismantled for scrap. However It was then used as a weight
test for a new bridge in South Wales and instead of Swindon it
was sold to Woodham Brothers scrapyard in Barry Island where
many Locos ended up awaiting there fate with the scrappers
Fortunately for the King Edward II after a couple of owners
it was eventually chosen for a restoration by the Brunel
Engineering Trust (Via the Manpower Services Comission, a
training body) with restoration work continuing until late
Autumn 1988 when the funding was withdrawn and once again King
Edward II faced an uncertain future.
The locomotive was again thrown a lifeline when GWS bought
it and it was transported to Didcot for the restoration to
continue, in January 2011 King Edward II moved for the first
time since 1962 under her own power and fortunately despite a
few hiccups along the way is still to be found running at
various events throughout the UK. A beautiful job the
restorers, enthusiasts and engineers have done too.